Sunday 10 January 2016

SNP BAD FOR HAVING DECENT (IF SOMEWHAT ELDERLY) CLOTHES

What happened on Saturday was Nicola Sturgeon and other senior politicians went out to visit some places which have been damaged badly in the floods of the last few weeks.

As you can see from the photographs Nicola went to people's houses and talked to them, hugged them, and she brought with her news that the Scottish Government will be making grants available to people who have lost goods ...to the value of £1,500. Not a massive amount, but three times what the British government is paying out to their flood victims

With people still living in houses full of foul smelling sludge, their furniture and carpets ruined and dampness everywhere... wondering if it is over or if there is more to come, you'd have reckoned that the press might have seen this as a reasonably good way for these politicians to be spending their Saturday.

But you have to remember that these politicians were SNP. Which immediately made caring about people BAAAAAAAD.

What The Daily Telegraph, from the comfort of Sark, was interested in, was how much Nicola's outfit cost. A Barbour Jacket worth £179 and a pair of Hunters Boots at £130. What an extravagance! Clearly the Telegraph wasn't in the least interested in people who have no homes, or whose homes are mainly mud. They probably think everyone in a bit of a mess goes off to their summer home in Tuscany or books into Gleneagles.

Apparently Cameron, although he had a pair of Hunters just like Nicola's, sent someone out to buy a pair of £12.99 wellies from ASDA before he visited English flood areas (I say areas rather than victims, because Dave seemed to avoid ordinary victims close up). Ever the PR man, he thought he would look too posh in his Hunters, so he spent an extra £12.99 trying to look ordinary. 

Nicola, just put on the boots she had and got on with hugging. She also dealt with the criticism of her wear with customary good humour:


@biscuit_ersed @JournoStephen @horton_official I blame @PeterMurrell - he bought me the Barbour jacket for Christmas a couple of years ago.


I confess - I bought the Barbour jacket. What I now want to know is - who bought her the wellies??

We make a lot of noise about how much politicians earn, how much they can salt away, and how much they charge us for their moats and duck houses, but everyone knows that government ministers are reasonably well paid, as they should be. We all know too, that people like Cameron is personally very rich. He can easily afford to buy expensive clothes, cars, houses. There's no point in his likes pretending that they have to wear ASDA wellies or fly Ryan Air cattle class, as he has in the past. 

As long as they use their own money, we really don't care what they wear or how they travel. Most specially if we are trying to dry out the kitchen so we can switch back on the electricity.

What was even more amusing was that, as Doug Daniel noticed,  a Labour councillor, who owns a Porsche, though it worth sharing a tweet about Nicola's millionaire clothes costing all of £309. A Porsche, if you please!
Nicola's Barbour jacket was, as she said, a present 2 Christmases ago from her husband. Ruth Davidson can confirm how much it cost. She has one the same, only it's never been the headlines in a national so probably it feels a little let down. 


Alex Salmond got no mention for not having any wellies, nor indeed a Barbour!


In the meantime someone discovered that Fluffy has, indeed been out looking at the floods. There all you Dumfries people who thought the wee soul had got lost... He was in that dub all the time... and it's not a tan, it's rust!

38 comments:

  1. The best bit in twitter has been folk telling us about their bargains in sales/outlet shops. One person said she'd got hunter wellies for £20 out of TK Maxx. But the plain fact is this is just the tin lid on it, expensive clothes and ffs that coffee machine. SNPveryBad indeed.

    Just jealous cos nobodies ever bought me a Barbour jaiket...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been reading some of the comments across at Wings (off topic).

      People are saying exactly that. Clearly the girl from the Sark Telegraph shops at Fortnums or Liberty. They are the very top prices quoted.

      And yeah... people with coffee makers. Goodness me. Whatever next?

      Munguin's got Barbour jacket PP. He hardly ever wears it... if you want it?

      Delete
    2. I've got socks that are 30+ years old, they don't make them like that any more.

      Delete
    3. There you go PP, Munguin's Barbour and Jim's socks!!! Bien chic.

      Delete
    4. They were quality socks, back when I was young and walked a hill or two.

      Delete
    5. Must have been... :)

      Delete
  2. Oh aye and if that Tris thinks 2 years is elderly clothing, he's obviously not seen my wardrobe. 2 years is practically neo-natal for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I though I was the only one. Only yesterday I was wearing a black t-shirt (now greyish) that I remember having when I was in Grenoble in 1996. I specifically remember it becasue Nathalie said it was a horrible baggy, piece of clothing, completely unchic... That's the French for you!

      Delete
  3. Organic sackcloth?. How dreadfully chi chi.

    S A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extremely proud of oor F.M. She wis there, looking the people in the eye. Aye, she'll dae fir me..........regards, Ronnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought that if I had some sort of a disaster, the very last thing I'd want was a royal or a government minister coming to see me... but Nicola? Yep, she can come.

      Delete
  5. In the name o' f@#£, the bottom of the barrel must be paper thin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short of stuff to moan about...

      Delete
  6. I've a leather jacket that's a lot older than my daughter that cost about a week's wages in the seventies. You pay for quality and it repays you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite something that you still fit in it!!!!!

      Delete
    2. conan

      I heard you also got leather underpants...mind they were problay given to you in the 1970s err yuk !

      Delete
    3. A true Scot doesn't wear underpants.

      Delete
    4. remind me not to sit where you did when i get on the bus you
      just got off.....

      Delete
  7. While I know it's required that the FM / PM / relevant minister has to visit any area where there has been a disaster / major incident etc, I really wish they would stay in the bloody background. Having many years ago helped out at a major incident, there is nothing bloody worse than a politician turning up.

    The difference between Sturgeon and Cameron though is that she doesn't look like she is pretending. Cameron doesn't give a shit about areas where he has no chance of winning votes.

    But what the hell is the relevance about the clothes they are bloody wearing? I bet those wittering on about it don't shop in Primark.

    And off-topic but quite funny, Squeeze reworded the lyrics of Cradle to the Grave to criticise Cameron on the Andrew Marr show. The BBC said they had no prior knowledge. Aye right, maybe no the big bosses but bet the producer knew.

    zog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said above I would dread the politician coming to visit...even worse Charlie or William... but I wouldn't mind Nicola, becasue you're right. She does really seem to care.

      Perhaps because she can imagine what it would be like to be in that position, unlike Cameron, who would simply move to one of his other houses and hire a company of interior decorators to do the wet one up...

      I heard about Squeeze. Must have been a terrible embarrassment to Marr. Wee shame, as my mate Spook would say.

      Delete
  8. Well folks I lost a lot of weight in the past two years and now I have a brand new wardrobe. Thing is that everything I had was falling off me. So had my Hubby bought me a Barbour Jaiket it would be away in the Charity shop where nearly all my entire wardrobe went.
    She would have been criticised by them if she had turned up in a plastic poncho, specially the one I took on Holiday last year and it had Scotland plastered all over it. You should have seen the looks I got off some of the folk we were with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Whatever politicians do in these cases is wrong. If you go, as Zog says, you get in the way; if you stay away you are accused of not caring.

      It's sad that they had to make a fashion parade out of it though.

      Every time they do that sort of thing they convince a few more people that they have no real arguments against Nicola, except what she wears, or how her hair is.

      Well done for losing weight!!!

      Delete
  9. tris and the other snp apologists

    Tory rich bad Lbaour rich bad snp rich......thats all right nothing wrong there just shut up wot wrong with the snp being stonking rich
    now...

    Err cos before they went into the public purse/trough they didn
    have a pot to pixx in and now they are rolling in the money.
    explanations anyone .

    Bought my son (she did nearly gave me a heart attack ) jumper £100
    and shirt another £120 who the feck is Armani and we aint no fat cat
    snp politico..............but does show the extend some will go to for the sake of fashion,,,way over my head...
    mind my clothes to go shopping in would set you back easy around £400 thats not me her indoors and me daughter sort out my look..they dont trust me say i would go out dressed as a clown..true
    her keeps saying i should get some Armani jeans Levis cost enough and Im happy in a pair of trackies

    fashion fashion fashion slaves to fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're happy in trackies... of course you are Niko. Do you have a rusty white van too?

      Delete
    2. conan


      no but I confess to having yearnings towards having one

      Delete
    3. Niko, if you think Barbour jackets are the height of fashion, I'll have to disillusion you. They're good solid jackets, good quality, but Armani they ain't.

      Delete
    4. Niko. Maybe we'll club together and get you....

      a rusty white van.

      Coz we loves ya.

      Delete
    5. Damn, I've got one JR and I thought I was the Bees Nees in it.

      I'll have to give it to Panda Paws now!

      Coz I'm a dedicated follower of Primark fashion.

      Delete
    6. Well Tris spent a whole fifteen pounds in Primark recently, two shirts and a cardigan, the cardigan was in the sale. I have to say if you are on minimum wage and who isn't these days and you have to dress for work, well £20 will get you enough to be going on with.m If M&S want to recover their clients go and argue for people to be paid decently for working. I am amazed they have lasted as long because their prices are dreadful even in outlets like the one in Tillicoultry.

      Delete
    7. Just the job Helena.

      Delete
    8. Just the job Helena.

      Delete
  10. Tris

    It's what passes for journalism in this country. The Libdems on Facebook have been having a wee debate about the BBC and surprise surprise they think it's good. Obviously my comments did not get well received, oh well. North Korea has a more balanced media than we do lol.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They love trivia, specially about women's clothes.

      I bet if the queen (or probably now Princess Mrs Parker Bowles) went to some terrible disaster somewhere they would be more interested in what they were wearing than how many had been killed.

      Delete
  11. My mother, ( no fan of the royalist ) always told the story of the day the queen mother visited their school. All the kids watched from the Windows as the the then queen got out of the car, apparently beautifully dressed in blue coat etc.

    When she appeared the classroom however, she was dressed in old black coat, though not shabby, was well used.
    According to mum, the class, though children, were affronted by this change, almost as if she did not want to get her good clothes getting dirty.
    I think most folk would be unimpressed if NS turned up in her old kit, when most of theirs was dumped in the street.

    NS was there to do more than have her photo taken, she was there telling them what our government were going to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that during the war, the QM (then the Queen) always got dressed up to visit the bomb wreckage in the East End.

      Someone suggested to her that she should tone the clothes down, and she replied that if the East Enders came to see her they would wear their best clothes... so why wouldn't she when she went to visit them?

      I guess she had a point.

      I wonder if she worried that her good coat would get covered in vomit, by some over excited kid, and she'd spend the rest of the day smelling like a sickroom?

      Lord I sound like an apologist for royals... argh... It's the last thing I am.

      Delete
  12. The only really funny thing to come out of this is Tory MP, Rory Stewart's claim about flood defences...see it on You Tube. It's a howler.
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4aUAQBNMgw)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, in fact, the inept posh boy is technically right. Overtopping is different from breaching.

      The trouble is (and he might have had the wit to take this into consideration) that whether the water breaks through or comes over the top, makes sod all difference to how wet yer feet get...and how ruined your house is.

      Another inept Tory minister living in another world.

      Delete