From Yes Scotland
The First Minister has described as "very serious" a claim that an email account connected to the pro-independence campaign was hacked.
Police Scotland launched an inquiry after Yes Scotland claimed private emails were accessed from outside the organisation.
The Daily Telegraph reported earlier on Tuesday that the pro-independence campaign was advised by officers to call in BT after it received a media enquiry which seemed to be based on private emails.
The paper reported the group contacted the police on Monday after BT looked at the email account and provided a list which showed it was accessed "a number of times".
Speaking on Tuesday afternoon, Alex Salmond said: “It’s a very, very serious matter indeed. There’s a limit to what we can say because it’s now a police inquiry, a police investigation.
"What I would say is this: If it turns out, and of course it’s still to be determined, that a newspaper has been involved in some way, given everything that’s happened over the last few years with illegal hacking and the whole scandal that erupted from that; if that turns out to be the case then it would be a very, very serious matter indeed.”
A spokesperson for Police Scotland said: “A complaint has been made by Yes Scotland regarding unauthorised access to an email account. The matter is being looked into.”