Monday 22 December 2014

MISERY FOR GLASGOW

We were shocked to hear the news about the bin lorry running out of control, killing 6 people and injuring at least 8 more in central Glasgow today. So far it appears that the cause of the accident hasn't been identified, although a witness is reported to have said that the driver was slumped over the wheel of the lorry.

It's only just over a year since Glasgow was hit by tragedy when a helicopter crashed through the roof of the Clutha Bar.

I was following the story earlier on Twitter and I wanted to say it never ceases to amaze me what wonderful people Glasgow has. Taxi drivers were offering to take people home, or to hospital...for free. One guy said that if anyone needed a room for the night he had one spare... 

Of course I'm sure that Glasgow is not unique in this; there are great people everywhere from Rothsay to Reykjavik to Rangoon. But Glasgow has certainly got their fair share of them. What warmth.

There's nothing comforting you can say when something like this happens. All across Scotland tonight people are thinking of you, Glasgow. Tonight we are all Weegies.

I should add that messages have been coming on Twitter from all sorts of people, The Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland sent his condolences, along with The Prime  minister of the Uk, the leader of Plaid in Wales.

Just left Govan police station where I've been getting briefed on response to tragedy. My heart simply breaks for all affected

Nicola has just been briefed in the local police station and tweeted that she was heartbroken. I know it's a twee thing to say, but somehow tragedy at Christmas seems to be even worse than at other times, although of course if it affects you personally, it doesn't matter a damn when it is. It's just horrific.

Let's remember too the work of the fire, police and ambulance services and NHS Scotland.

8 comments:

  1. I have finally sorted my internet but a bit busy for the past few days. I was reading via mobile. What a sad sad day...to compound it here in Malaysia it has been what I believe Scots would call it a very dreich past 24 hours. I am heartened though to see (on Sky) fellow Scots with shopping bags running towards the scene of accident rather away from it in attempting to assist victims. There is still hope as evidenced by the footage and your post above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AH, Nice to see you back..

      It is heartening to see people helping each other and offering their homes to complete strangers.

      That's Glasgow.

      Hope your weather gets a bit better. The sun is shining here and it's not even cold!

      Delete
  2. Tragic accident and loss of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jim. So frightening when you think how easily it could have been you...

      Delete
  3. Although I now live in East Ren, I'm Weegie born and bred. Horrific. It's a busy area even when it's not Christmas - one entrance to Queen St and several bus stops. Now Christmas shoppers and lots going to the festivities at George Square. It could have been even worse given the number of people in the area though it's bad enough.

    I'm sure those affected aren't reading this blog, but my thoughts and those of many others are with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, PP, I suppose it is right to remember that given the time of year and the activities in George sq, it could have been even worse.

      Delete
  4. My heart goes out to all involved, there is not good time for this to happen but it always seems more of a tragedy at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but it's strange, because a tragedy is a tragedy, no matter when it happens. For some people, I suppose now, Christmas will never be the same again.

      Delete